Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sad Monday


Yesterday morning we woke to feed Arianna at 5:30, just like everyday, Matt found our sweet dog Ginger had passed away in the night. She had gone into the bathroom, her favorite spot in the house cause it gets so cool, and had laid down and went in her sleep. This was really out of the blue for us, yes she was 11 years old but she had spent the evening out with Matt, Kenna and some neighbor kids walking and running through the neighborhood. She was so happy and really seemed fine when we went to bed. I heard her go into the bathroom at about 3:30 and get settled in, she was a little slow and acted like her hips might be hurting, I was thinking I should call the vet in the morning to get more pains meds for her. She was really panting like she was hot, I now realize that she probably was in heart failure at that time and she passed quickly after laying down. Matt took her to our vet where they made an imprint of her paw so that we would have her with us always.

I will really miss her, Matt and I got her as a puppy when we were newlyweds, our first kid we always joked. It has only been 8 months since we had to put our other dog Jax down because she was so sick with cancer. It is strange not to have them curled up by you feet when sitting on the couch, and I keep hearing noises at the back door like Ginger is scratching to come in. I have gone to the back door to let her in several times now.
Kenna and her friends drew pictures and wrote things like 'we miss you Ginger' out on the driveway with chalk, kids can be so sweet. Kenna also asked if we could get a new dog for Arianna's birthday present from her, I don't think I am up to house training a new dog just yet.
I told her that we would soon enough, and she seemed okay with that.


2 comments:

The Snells said...

Juli and Matt im so sorry about Ginger! I know how much you loved her and what a good dog she was. At least she went in her sleep, the most painless way for it to happen. Things happen in life and even if you would have called and gotten her in to the vet it could have been too late for her. I really am sorry, it just breaks my heart. Crawl is my "first born" and i just love him to pieces i cant even imagine how rough this is with Jax passing not that long ago. New puppies are a lot of work i totally agree! what about looking into a rescued dog or one at the shelter thats already house broken? just an idea. let me know if we can do anything, even bring over our puppies just to play! they are always up for playing especially sophie!! :) we love you guys!!!

carolyn q said...

Just wanted to wish Julianna and Arianna a Happy Birthday today. Please know I am thinking of you and I hope that it's a wonderful day.
I am sorry about the passing of Ginger. When my Sasha (St. Bernard) passed away I cried for a week straight, so I understand the emotional attachement you can have.
Heart Hugs,
Carolyn Quigley
www.quigleyhappenings.blogspot.com